闫跃
在书面写作中,常会用到某些具有话题引入作用的短语或句型,来顺利过渡到将要谈及的话题,从而增强前后内容的衔接性与连贯性。这类话题引入语一般翻译为“谈到、说起、论及”,话题被引入后,说话者会就这一话题陈述某种客观事实或发表个人看法。常用的引入语有以下几种:
coming to
Coming to the question of marriage, I have something to say. 谈到婚姻这个问题,我有一些要说的。
Coming to details, thirty students have failed to pay attention. 说到细节,有三十位同学忽视了。
Coming to the next step, a further discussion seems necessary. 谈到下一步骤,进一步的讨论看来是有必要的。
talking/speaking of
Ill give a prize to the best idea. Talking of good ideas, heres one to break the ice at a wedding party. 我会给最好的创意以奖励。谈到好创意,这里倒有一个创意可以活跃婚礼上的气氛。
Talking of the football match, our team was rather disappointing. 谈到足球赛,我们队的表现令人相当失望。
Theres plenty of time to drop hints for Christmas presents. And speaking of presents, we have 100 exclusive fragrance collections to give away. 有充分时间来暗示需要什么圣诞礼物。谈到礼物,我们有100种高档香水要送出。
Speaking of money, have we paid our credit card bills yet? 说到钱的事,我们支付了信用卡账单了吗?
when it comes (down) to
When it comes to holidays, I prefer something lazy. 说到度假,我宁愿选择懒散一些的方式。
When it comes to politics/repairing cars, I know nothing. 说到政治/修车,我是一无所知。
Joe is not good at sports, but when it comes to mathematics, he is the best in the class. 乔在体育方面不行,但说到数学,他是全班最好的。
Knowing such things isnt much help when it comes down to shopping and eating. 说到购物和吃喝,知道这些事情就没有什么用处了。
while we are on the subject of
While we are on the subject of money, have you got the £10 you owe me? 既然我们谈到了钱的问题,你欠我的那10英镑现在能还我吗?
While we are on the subject of the party, will you come to it? 我们正谈到晚会的事情,你来参加吗?
如果引入的是一个被中断的旧话题,可用getting back to/to get back to/to return to,一般翻译为“回到、返回至”,例如:
Getting back to our story, the princess was killed, but a witch brought her back to life. 回到我们刚才的故事,公主被杀了,但女巫使她复活了。
To get back to/To return to our subject, the farmer had a daughter. 回到我们之前的话题,那个农夫有个女儿。
最后需要说明的是,上文中作状语的coming to、talking/speaking of、getting back to和to get back to/to return to均为用作独立成分的非谓语动词,已经具备了介词的某种性质,其逻辑主语一般为说话者本人或互知的会话双方,所以并不需要遵循“非谓语动词作状语时其逻辑主语通常应与句子主语保持一致”的一般性规则。