潘尚河
潘尚河/广西现代职业技术学院教授(广西河池547000)。
由于汉英语言思维方式的巨大差异,对人称代词的表达意义、指称以及表达方式也不尽相同。在汉英语言人称代词的互译过程中需要结合实际情况进行综合考虑。通常,在汉语语言中的某一人称代词译成英语时,可能会有不同的表达形式,笔者认为很有研究的必要。
即汉语原文使用人称代词,英语译文也用人称代词。同样,汉语原文没有使用人称代词,英语译文也不使用人称代词。例:
我们中华民族有同自己的敌人血战到底的气概,有在自力更生的基础上光复旧物的决心,有自立于世界民族之林的能力。
We Chinese nation have the spirit to fight the enemy to the last drop of our blood,the determination to recover our lost territory by our own efforts,and the ability to stand on our feet in the family of nations.(毛泽东:《论反对日本帝国主义的策略》,北京外文出版社1961年版译文)
她站在窗子跟前,闷闷不乐地瞅着外面灰蒙蒙的后院,一只灰色的猫正在灰色的篱笆上行走。
She stood by the window and looked out sadly at a gray cat walking along a gray fence in a gray backyard.(0.Henry.The Gifts)
在我们这个世纪内研制了许多新奇的交通工具,其中最奇特的也许就是气垫船了。
Many strange new means of transport have been developed in our century,the strangest of them being perhaps the hovercraft.
把西红柿切成片,摆在小盘子里。
Slice the tomato finely and place it in a small dish.
即汉语原文使用人称代词,英语译文省略(不用)人称代词。例:
你过来吧!
Come here,please!
走在厚厚的地毯上。我听不到一点脚步声。
The thick carpet killed the sound of my footsteps.(Joseph)
在举行个别交谈之前,我已经就所有要讨论的问题预先拟好了备忘录。
Memoranda were prepared in advance of private meeting on matters to be discussed.
凭良心讲,你待我礼貌有加,我却受之有愧。
My conscience told me that I deserved no extraordinary politeness.
我们最近查找到了卷宗,发现本局并无此信。可以肯定的是,我们于两个月前收到此信,经研究后,已寄还贵处。
A current search of the files indicates that the letter is no longer in this bureau’s possession.It is noted that the letter was received two months ago,and after study,returned to your office
即汉语原文没有(隐含)人称代词,英语译文增补人称代词。例:
学而不思则罔,思而不学则殆。
He who learns but does not think is lost;he who thinks but does not learn is perilous.
人不可貌相,海水不可斗量。
We can’t judge people from their appearance,just as we can’t measure the ocean by pints.
必须熟习各种国际惯例。
You should be familiar with various international practices.
不要在此停车。
We can’t park here.
到了济南府,进得城来,家家泉水,户户垂杨,比那江南风景,觉得更为有趣。
When he reached Jinan and entered the city,there were flowing streams by every house and willow trees by every door,which delighted him even more than the scenery of the south.(by Yang Xianyi and Gladys Yang)
我给你打国际直拨就跟给楼下的李姐打电话差不多,一拨就通。
An international phone call to you is as easy as a call to Sister Li downstairs.(武汉大学外语学院主编:《今日武汉》)
她从来没想到他是个不诚实的人。
It never occurred to her that he was a dishonest man.
我害怕起来了,而且越来越害怕。
Then fear set in and commenced to build up.
有时我们很难区分真伪。
Sometimes you can hardly tell the real from the false.
1.汉语原文用人称代词的所有格,译文使用人称代词的主格形式。例:
你的左边有一条河。
You have a river on your left.
我们的事业从胜利走向胜利。
We have won one victory after another for our cause.(程镇球:“汉英翻译问题”载《中译英技巧文集》)
2.汉语原文用人称代词主格,译文用人称代词所有格形式。例:
他心直口快,总是愿意和任何人交朋友,所以很快就赢得了大家的信任。
His outspokenness and readiness to make friends with anyone soon won their trust.
在手电筒光下,我看到了她订婚的戒指闪闪发光。
My flashlights picked up the glitter of an engagement ring on the girl’s hand.
3.汉语原文用人称代词主格,译文使用人称代词宾格形式。例:
我兴奋得什么都说不出来。
Excitement deprived me of all power of utterance.
我一想到还要在这里呆一年就浑身不舒服。
The thought of spending another year makes me physically sick.
在过去的一年里.我们取得了很多成就。
The past year has seen us make great achievements.
4.汉语原文用人称代词主格,译文用物主词语。例:
“又过了几个月,我见他们手上戴着结婚戒指。可是,他们不像以前那样健谈了,她又在看书,他在看报。”(胡文:《爱情故事》)
Months later,ring appeared glistening on their fingers but chatting became fewer for it was replaced by reading,one with a book and the other a newspaper.
……到去年底,我部已同有关省市签订了100余艘中小船舶的建造合同和协议。
By the end of the last year,contracts and agreements were signed with some provinces and cities for the construction of more than 100 medium-and –small-size vessels.(敏雷:“关于科技资料汉译英问题”,载《中译英技巧文集》)
如果你真正意识到这一点,你就会明白最重要的是活出自己的风采与滋味来。
A full awareness of this will point out to you that the most important thing in your existence is your distinctive individuality or something special of yours.
5.汉语原文用人称代词主格,译文用there be句型。例:他今天的举止有些反常。
There is something strange about his behavior today.
还将有一些生活极端贫困的人们,他们还需要政府的资助。
There will still be some people living in extreme poverty,who are still in need of government’s financial support.
总之,汉英语言人称代词在互译时有一定的相似性,但同时存在巨大的差异,只有注意到这些差异,在互译过程中我们才能根据实际情况,按照译语的表达习惯进行综合考虑,才能使得译文表达得完整正确、流畅自然。
[1]毛荣贵.新世纪大学汉英翻译教程[M].上海:上海交通大学出版社,2002
[2]张培基.英汉翻译教程[M].上海:上海外语教育出版社,2001
[3]刘宓庆.现代翻译理论[M].南昌:江西教育出版社,1990
[4]黄立波.英汉翻译中人称代词主语的显化——基于语料库的考察[J].外语教学与研究,2008(6)
[5]陈宏薇.新编汉译英翻译教程[M].上海:上海外语教育出版社,2004