美语人生(五)

2012-12-29 00:00:00怀中
海外星云 2012年22期


  Make your goal more than accumulating money and buying stuff that eventually winds up in an estate sale.
  让你的目标比累积金钱和购买物品更重要,因为那些物品最后也是在“遗产拍卖”场出现。
  (wind up=end up; estate sale是指儿女把父母生前的遗物便宜出售,如同yard sale)
  Improving another life is not only a gift to that person, but to yourself.
  改善另一个人的生活,不但是给那个人的礼物,也是给你自己的礼物。
  Quitters never win and winners never quit.
  放弃者不会胜利,胜利者不会放弃。(动词时态:quit, quitted, quitting停止,放弃;win, won, winning获胜;quitter多指轻易放弃的人)
  Having money is not the ultimate goal of life.
  有钱不是人生的最终目标。
  Try to be as happy as a rooster in a barnyard.
  要像公鸡那样在壳仓旁的空地上自由活动,高高兴兴。 (多半只用rooster而不用hen)
  Thanks to mistakes; we can revise our understanding of ourselves and amend our ideas about the world.
  感谢错误,我们能借它修正我们对自己的了解,也能改进我们对世界的看法。
  Don't let millions of warnings create a state of perpetual panic.
  不要让千千万万的警语,造成一种长期不断的恐惧。 (perpetual指never ending; panic 指 fear)
  Life is no picnic; take control of your destiny.
  人生不是常常轻松的;掌握你的命运吧! (no picnic=not a picnic,也就是not always easy)
  Unfortunately, knowing how much is enough is the biggest challenge facing all of us.
  很遗憾,要想知道多少(财富)才算“足够”,是我们大家面临最大的挑战。
  Tomorrow is promised to no one; give 200 percent at anything you try.
  没有人知道明天会怎样;用你双倍的努力去尝试任何事情吧! (通常用100 percent,但用110或200 percent表示加强maximum的意思)
  Volunteer work is emotionally rewarding; try to volunteer for anything else you can manage to squeeze into your schedule.
  义工是情绪上的报偿;尽量设法安排你的时间表,去做任何事情的义工。 (squeeze into 挤入,安排)
  I have no fame, no money, but I have no problems and no worries.
  我没有名,没有钱,但我没有难题,也没有苦恼。
  If you perpetuate a cycle of hatred and revenge, this conflict will escalate into a war.
  假如你长期绕着仇恨和报复,那么这种内心的矛盾仍会引起战斗。
  Material gain does not matter, character does.
  物质上的收获不重要,品性才重要。
  The years will pass more quickly than you can imagine; 5 years are like the blink of an eye, and 10 years evaporate with each breath in and out.
  岁月的消失,比你想象快得多;5年就像一眨眼,10年就像呼吸般地过去。(只用an eye, 不用eyes)
  Those who reduce their consumption and accumulation of stuff are happier and less stressful.
  那些减少消费和少累积物品的人,较为幸福,也较少有压力。
  Sometimes we may get a bit bored with the same-old-same-old, but love can make the world go around.
  我们有时对“刻板老套”的生活感到乏味单调,但爱使世界美好。
  May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain in your life.
  但愿在你人生中,每个雨天都跟随着一道彩虹。(在不如意的生命中,都有如意的时候)
  = May every cloud in your life have a silver lining.
  = Good luck in everything you do. (cloud 指阴暗;silver lining 指衬着银色的亮光) (编辑/立